To facilitate timely transitions between panelists and to avoid compatibility issues with various types of personal laptops and accessories, we are requesting that all speakers (in-person and hybrid) upload their final presentation materials (e.g., PPT, PDF) and a very brief biography (150-word max) to the secured Dropbox folder allocated to their panel as early as possible and no later than 12 pm, noon on Tuesday, September 27, 2022. A personalized Dropbox link will be sent to each presenter (and moderator).
There will be no provision for speakers to use their personal computers, and no flash drives or other portable storage devices will be accepted. An onsite technical team will assist with technical equipment such as logging into presentation computers, cameras, sound systems, and microphones. A remote technical team will load presentations and bios as well as set up Zoom for hybrid sessions only.
Presentation Requirements & Technical Specifications
- Format: Presentation files will be accepted in Microsoft Office PowerPoint or PDF format only. Macintosh presentations cannot be accommodated.
- Ratio: The aspect ratio of your presentation should be 16:9.
- File name: The name of your presentation file should include the presenter’s name and the presentation title (e.g., Jane Done – Just Victorians.pptx). To avoid compatibility issues, please do not use special characters to name your presentation.
- Presenter mode will not be available during your presentation. Please print your notes in advance, if needed.
- Please note that macros should not be used, and flash animations and Prezi presentations are not supported.
- Embed graphs, figures, and images into the presentation as independent objects; not dynamic links from other programs.
- Because of so many different media formats, technical support cannot be provided for embedded media (e.g., videos, web URLs, linked images, etc.); please test your presentation with the onsite PC several hours before your presentation.
- Disable any automatic advance timer on the presentation file.
- If you wish to add a video to your PowerPoint presentation, please let us know so we can make sure to check it prior to your presentation. Note: it is the presenter’s responsibility to follow all copyright and fair use guidelines.
If you have any special requirements concerning visual aids, including movies, and/or audio, please contact the conference organizers in advance of the conference via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Printed copies of presentation materials will not be provided. Therefore, please refrain from directing your audience to a particular slide or page of your presentation handout or referring to “printed handouts” during your presentation.
Instructions for Presenters
Presenters will be required to use in-room computers rather than personal laptops.
In-person presenters are responsible for coordinating with the onsite technical assistant 10-15 minutes prior to the start of the session to access the computer and presentation materials from the allocated Dropbox folder to prepare for their presentation.
Hybrid presenters will have their presentation materials automatically preloaded for presentation by a remote technical assistant. In preparation for the session, please download and test via the Zoom test site (https://zoom.us/test). For the best experience, please use our webcam and test your audio.
At least one day prior to the scheduled session, the presider and all presenters for that session will receive a message from the virtual conference room that contains the connection information.
The room moderator will set up and share your presentation on your behalf. Please ensure that your webcam is on so that attendees can view you during your presentation.
Please plan to join the meeting 15 minutes early in case there are any issues that need to be worked out.
We encourage all hybrid presenters to use the NAVSA 2022 Conference virtual background when presenting remotely. The Zoom web conference platform allows you to customize your virtual background in Settings/Virtual Background.
- Download the NAVSA 2022 virtual background image or save the image displayed above (PC users: right-click on the image, then select “Save as”; Mac users; drag and drop the image or CNTRL-click, then “Save As”).
- Select the “+” button to add the NAVSA 2022 wallpaper to your Zoom account.
- Select “Mirror my Video.”
Note that virtual backgrounds work best when you are presenting in front of a bare wall with no bright light behind you.
Tips for a Successful Presentation
- Test your Zoom connection ahead of time, especially your audio and video.
- Ensure your microphone, headphones, or speakerphone is near you.
- Mute your Zoom session or phone when not in use.
- Avoid bright lights and windows behind you.
- Good light in front of you (on your face) will provide for a better image.
- Test your virtual background to ensure there are no video irregularities.
Zoom Options for Participants
As a presenter or attendee, when you first connect to a Zoom room to participate in a session, you will be presented with the option to download and use the Zoom client. We recommend using this full client version for the best viewing experience.
As an alternative, participants can opt to join via a web browser only. If choosing this option, you should use the latest versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported.
Helpful Zoom Links and Tutorials
The following links may be useful as you prepare for your virtual presentation.
Creating a Zoom Account